Sunday, April 26, 2009

Critical Thinking Blog #12

I tend to youtube search everything and this was one of the results I got for "Good Country People," which seemed kind of interesting:




The first time I read this story I felt some sort of weird affinity toward Hulga and consequently the ending was maddening for me. After reading it again, I do not feel nearly as connected to any of the characters. Considering Flannery O'Connor's own health, her depiction of sickness or malady is interesting and appears to be the opposite of her own due to her perseverance and faith. Through "Good Country People," O'Connor provides an allegorical personification of backwards Southerns through the deception of Hulga by Pointer and her mother's inability to look past this notion that "good country people are the salt of the earth." Consequently, O'Connor showcases her Roman Catholic beliefs by having both Hulga and Pointer disgraced due to their nihilistic beliefs. Hulga is disgraced by Pointer, however, Pointer's downfall derives from the reader's response to his actions, which are portrayed as cruel.

No comments:

Post a Comment